Opportunities in Shelter Operations
Challenging and rewarding opportunities to provide a higher quality of life for homeless pets through adoption. Helping NSALA fulfill its mission and make a difference in a unique and powerful way.
Pet Behavior Trainer
We are currently looking for a full time Animal Trainer to join our team. In this role, the perfect candidate will be responsible for the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work on the adoption floor during the busy part of the weekend and assist with adoptions.
- Coordinate dog playgroups with kennel associates and managers developing safety guidelines for various age groups.
- Write stories for hard to place dogs for the Animal League website.
- Have a working relationship to utilize kennel associates, with relation to behavior problems and training through group classes and one-on-one training.
- Go over trainer’s daily dog observation books in order to make suggestions and any needed changes in protocols.
- Approve written floor copies on animals with behavior issues.
- Prepare various weekly and monthly reports for the department manager. These reports to include dog status, training and puppy kindergarten class attendance and income report.
- Conduct safety training, obedience, orientation and in home training classes.
- Various other duties as assigned.
- Must have at least one year previous experience working hands-on with canines in a shelter environment, veterinary facility or graduate of a dog trainer school
- Must have a clean New York State drivers license
Benefits include a 100% company paid benefits package. Please send resume with a cover letter by e-mail to HR@animalleague.org. All resumes submitted MUST include salary requirements for consideration.
Kennel Associates Needed!
We are currently looking for enthusiastic Full Time and Part Time Kennel Associates to join our team. As a Kennel Associate you will ensure the general health and wellness of the animals as you assist them in finding quality homes. Responsibilities include but are not limited to assisting the public during the adoption process, feeding the animals, cleaning and disinfecting animal cages.
- The ability to effectively work individually or in a team environment
- Strong communication and customer relation skills are a must
- The ability to multitask
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year related experience; previous experience working with animals strongly preferred
Full-time benefits include a 100% company paid benefits package and much more. Please send resume with a cover letter by e-mail to HR@animalleague.org.
All cover letters MUST include salary requirements for consideration.
Kennel Team Leader
We are currently looking for full-time Kennel Team Leader to assist the Kennel Management Team with the daily operation of the Adoption Center. Supervise and train staff associates in promoting and ensuring quality adoptions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide outstanding customer service and ensure the staff does so too
- Motivate and monitor associates in achieving daily, weekly and annual adoption goals set forth by the League
- Supervise staff associates, i.e., assign work, schedule breaks, monitor cleanliness and animal safety, and work performance
- Provide regular feedback to kennel managers on associates productivity and performance through the completion of daily Associate performance report
- Monitor and control puppy, kitten, cat and dog inventory on adoption floor
- Monitor adoption flow and take corrective steps to ensure smooth/timely processing of adoptions
- Prepare work requisitions for all kennel repairs
- Train associates to work in each Adoption center area, i.e. Feline room, puppy room, dog area, Adoptions, cat habitat, etc.
- Approve adoption applications and when necessary, effectively communicate medical conditions to adopters
- Conduct daily set up meetings with the kennel associates
- Process opening and closing procedures of the shelter
- Ensure the standard of neatness and cleanliness of the shelter areas at all times
- Various other duties as assigned
- Request calls (organize and call)
- Buddy Program (work with a trainer on assigning hard to place dogs to shelter associates)
- Training releases (uodate dog and cat training releases)
- FIFO (update one weekly/monthly lists for the shelter animals)
- Positive and friendly attitude
- Previous experience working hands-on with animals in a shelter environment or veterinary facility
- Good communication and listening skills
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to maintain sanitation of animal areas
- Desire to make a positive difference in the lives of animals
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits package and much more. Please send resume with a cover letter by e-mail to HR@animalleague.org.
All cover letters MUST include salary requirements for consideration.
Quality Control Associate
We are currently seeking a full-time Quality Control Associate to assist customers and promote North Shore Animal League America’s mission through prompt, professional, and courteous service.
The Quality Control Associate works to ensure, through home visits, that all of the animals adopted from The Animal League are in responsible homes and that the adopters are in compliance with the terms of the adoption contract. Quality Control Associates must be able to inspect and analyze the animals living situation and counsel and educate adopters when appropriate in the best interest of the animal, following all The Animal League’s policies.
Ideal candidates must exhibit the ability to remain professional, courteous and objective in all situations, with a strong desire to make a positive difference in the lives of animals.
- Must be at least 21 years of age with 3+ years driving experience
- Must have a clean driving record for the prior 3 years and must remain insurable
- Position is full-time, 40 hours, and includes one weekend shift
Qualified candidates must possess a minimum of 1 year’s proven experience with knowledge of animal welfare: including care, handling, health, behavior and sheltering issues. Qualified Candidates must have excellent customer service skills a positive and friendly attitude, good communication and listening skills. Candidates must be able to work independently, and be a team player.
Please send resume with a cover letter by e-mail to HR@animalleague.org.
All resumes submitted MUST meet the minimum qualifications and include salary requirements for consideration.
Opportunities in Clerical/Administrative Support
Dedicated to supporting NSALA's mission our staff is committed to providing the best service to our adopters and clients.
Client Services Representative
We have an exciting opportunity for full-time & part-time Client Services Representatives to work in our call center of the Alex Lewyt Veterinary Medical Center as part of the supportive staff providing customer service to clinic clients. Handle incoming phone calls. Schedules outpatient and spay and neuter appointments. Processes spay/neuter clinic, vaccine clinic and Outpatient clinic paperwork, records and worksheets.
- The ability to multitask. Computer literate
- Exposure/Knowledge of Veterinary Medical Procedures, protocols, health and wellness, but not mandatory
- Previous experience a plus
Handle all incoming Medical Center phone calls and direct calls to appropriate parties
- Schedule appointments for Outpatients and Spay/Neuter
- Give out routine information i.e.: Clinic hours, Verify vaccine information etc.
- Create DVM call back reports
- Process daily paperwork, logs and records for Spay/Neuter Surgeries, including Pet Health Center
- Create, file and maintain medical records, register and credit/check machine.
- Process Spay/Neuter Refunds
- Receive payments for AM, Outpatient, PM and Spay/Neuter Clinics
- Create, Copy, Fax/Mail medical records upon request
- File original antech blood reports
- Call owners on hospitalized pets to provide status reports.
- Enter data entry into computer, i.e.: Shelter Medical Sheets, Ward Worksheets, DVM Initials, Vaccines and Spay/Neuter surgery information
- Process daily paperwork and logs for Vaccine clinics
- Distribute copied blood reports to appropriate wards
- Keeping front office, Exam rooms and lobby including magazine rack, pamphlets and television clean and organized.
We offer a competitive salary and 100% company paid Benefits package. Qualified candidates should email their resume, cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com. EOE
Opportunities in Corporate Services
Whether you have years of experience or your career is just getting started, our corporate offices offer a great range of positions and professional careers.
Director of Planned Giving
We are seeking an experienced, energetic, and creative Director of Planned Giving to secure planned gift commitments from donors and prospective donors and to provide stewardship. The Director of Planned Giving reports to the Senior Vice President of Development. Key responsibilities include building new relationships and maintaining relationships with current legacy society members and planned giving prospects. Has the responsibility to coordinate 2-4 North Shore Animal League America Wealth Preservation Seminars each year. Responsible to present our Planned Giving Programs, and to secure speakers and attendees for each seminar. Candidate will collaborate with Animal League America’s Finance Department on the administration of the planned giving program and ensure compliance with federal and state laws in the administration of life-income gifts, including contract preparation for gift annuities. The Director of Planned Giving will oversee the administration and collection of all pending estate distributions. Candidate must be goal orientated, work autonomously with a high degree of accountability, to meet or exceed established goals.
Essential Experience, Skills and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree and 15+ years of progressively successful fundraising experience in soliciting planned gifts.
- Additional legal or financial background such as JD, CPA, CFP preferred.
- Solid understanding of gift, estate and financial planning, as well as of planned giving options for complex assets, life-income gifts and estates.
- Advanced interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively and concisely both verbally and in writing, particularly to explain complex financial information in simple language with diverse audiences.
- Strong presentation skills and excellent computer skills.
- Demonstrated performance in prioritizing tasks, meeting deadlines, and working collegially as part of a team.
- Must have the ability to travel frequently, estimating once every two weeks. Must have access to a car.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule and some weekends.
- Ability to embrace and articulate the mission, core values and aspirations of North Shore Animal League America.
Please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to HR@animalleague.org.
Opportunities in Medical Services
Our Medical Staff bring care, compassion, and empathy to their job every day of the year, enriching the lives of the countless animals they serve.
Veterinary Student Externship Program
Veterinary Student Shelter/Medical Center Externship Program 2015
The North Shore Animal League America is pleased to offer an externship opportunity for students currently enrolled in their third and fourth year at a veterinary college. NSALA, the world’s largest no-kill animal adoption and rescue organization, offers students a diverse experience in animal sheltering as well as medical and surgical management of disease.
The Alex Lewyt Veterinary Medical Center was first established in 1992 and is dedicated to the treatment of all puppies, kittens, cats and dogs that come to our Rescue & Adoption Center each year. We strive to provide the highest quality medicine to both our shelter population and owned pets from our community.
Each week, over 150 animals are hospitalized and over 200 outpatients receive examinations and treatment. Our veterinarians see, on average, over 20,000 pets each year. Our medical staff provides our shelter pets with a full range of medical services including: routine vaccinations, management of complex medical cases, pediatric and neonatal medicine, isolation and management of infectious disease, spay/neuter procedures, soft-tissue and orthopedic surgery. We have a state of the art medical facility with digital full-body and dental radiography, ultrasound, a dental suite, rigid and flexible endoscopy.
We have a two or four week externship program that focuses on sheltering rescued pets as well as treatment and surgical procedure. Students have a variety of opportunities within our facility; working in our shelter, making rounds in our medical wards, seeing patients in our Outpatients Clinic, and the chance to both observe and participate in surgical procedures.
Externs are expected to work 40-hour weeks, and as a facility open 7 days a week we require ONE weekend shift each week. Our facility is very hands-on and we expect the externs to participate in medical examinations and treatments of our visiting and hospitalized pets. The student will be paired with one of our staff veterinarians while they attend to hospitalized patients.
For more information please contact:
Administrative Assistant to the Medical Director
Phone: (516) 883-7900, ext. 484
Fax: (516) 767-3942, attention to Joshua Weiner
If you have a love for animals and a passion to start a career in the veterinary field, this is the place for you! At NSALA Veterinary Assistants play a crucial role in our everyday mission to provide quality care to our patients. We provide ongoing training that enhances your professional growth and a learning environment with state of the art medical equipment. The perfect candidate for this position must be detailed oriented with the ability to work in a fast pace environment and provide exceptional customer service to our clients and medical staff, must be able to lift 40-50lbs, maintain the cleanliness of the exam rooms and assist the Veterinarians and Veterinary Technicians when needed.
• Qualified candidates must possess 1+ years’ experience or applicable education experience. Hands on animal experience is required
• Must be mature, responsible, energetic, and able to work well in a team atmosphere
• Must be able to multi-task and perform in a fast paced environment
• Ability to handle and control animals
• Must possess strong communication skills, organizational skills and excellent telephone and interpersonal skills
• Bi-lingual a plus
We are currently seeking full time Staff Veterinarians to join our team of professionals and per diem Veterinarians to join our team of professionals.
NSALA provides high quality medicine in a shelter environment, managing a large and challenging medical and surgical caseload. This includes general practice, pediatrics, surgeries, hospital rounds and spay/neuter procedures. Our state-of-the-art Medical Center is fully equipped with x-ray, pulse ox, tonopen, 4 oxygen cages, ultra sound machines, IV fluid pumps and full dental & some in-house orthopedic capabilities.
A New York State DVM license with at least 3+ years of experience required. Candidates must have dental experience, good interpersonal skills, be team-oriented and committed to promoting animal welfare.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE
Licensed and Licensed-Eligible Veterinary Technicians
If you are a Licensed Veterinary Technician or Licensed Eligible Veterinary Technician in the State of NY, why not reward yourself with an exciting, fast paced job at the largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization that is known for its medical expertise and professional staff. We currently have have staff and per diem positions available. In exchange for working for one of the best organizations in the country, you will receive:
- Highly competitive compensation package which includes health, dental and life insurance opportunities provided at no cost to you.
- Compensation package also includes generous paid time off, holiday pay, continuing education allowance
- Appreciation for your talents in our interactive learning environment where you can grow and expand your knowledge.
- The opportunity to improve animal’s lives.
The Licensed/Licensed Eligible Veterinary Technician is instrumental in providing support to clients, patients and other staff members. The perfect candidate must have the ability to work in a fast paced environment, work well with staff members, be detail oriented and have excellent communication skills. A passion for our mission is required. Experience a plus, but will train new graduates.
- Active NYS Veterinary Technician License Required/or Licensed Eligible
- Previous veterinary office and/or shelter experience a plus
- Must be flexible to work additional hours when workload requires.
If you have what it takes to contribute to this excellent group of veterinary professionals we invite you to discover the outstanding potential awaiting you at North Shore Animal League America!
Apply now so you don’t miss out! You are going to love working for North Shore Animal League America.
Please send resume and cover letter to HR@Animalleague.org.
Certified - Entry Level Pharmacy Technician
We are currently seeking a full-time, Entry Level Licensed Pharmacy Technician to join our team of medical staff. Essential responsibilities include but are not limited to: Calculating, preparing and dispensing of all medications for outpatient clients as per Veterinarian prescriptions; Reinforce Veterinarians instructions about appropriate methods of administration and any side effects; Distribute any printed materials from Veterinarians as needed.
Responsible for preparing all inpatient medications for ECU, Isolation, Foster Care, Shelter Medical and Surgery and distribute these medications to the veterinary technicians of each area.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification required
- A passion for animals a MUST!
Hours: Full-time, includes 1 weekend shift
- College education preferred
- Pharmacy Technician experience in a retail setting preferred
Benefits include a 100% company paid benefits package.
Please send resume with a cover letter by e-mail to HR@animalleague.org, with title Pharmacy Technician in the subject line.
All resumes submitted MUST include salary requirements for consideration.