Sign up as a Free Member to get the latest Rescue & Animal News
Get pet health, training tips and more!
A New Year Brings New Beginnings! Consider Your Pet's Well-Being in Your New Year's Resolution
The New Year is the Perfect Time to Start a Fresh Wellness Regimen
Media & Communications Department
Phone: (516) 883-7900, Ext. 482
Mobile: (516) 528-7878
January 3, 2013 (Port Washington, NY) - A new year is upon us and, as is tradition, resolutions are made to change lives for the better. Pet experts at North Shore Animal League America, the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization, encourage pet owners to include their beloved pets when committing to these inspired goals. Adhering to resolutions intended to keep your pets happy and healthy can add years to their lives, fun to their days and much joy to a home.
Here are Animal League America’s Top 10 resolutions for pet owners:
1. I will take my pets to the vet for routine check-ups and make sure all their vaccinations and treatments, such as flea, tick and heartworm, are up-to-date.
2. I will make certain that my pets are spayed or neutered, so that they are not contributing to the pet overpopulation that leads to millions of innocent animals euthanized each year.
3. I will pay more attention to my pets’ oral care and begin a teeth-brushing regimen, as oral care is integral to my pets’ whole well-being, and dental problems have been known to lead to other illnesses in pets.
4. I will keep my pets groomed for good health: brushing their coats, cleaning their ears and trimming their nails.
5. I will keep my pets on a proper nutritional plan that’s balanced, age-appropriate and suited to any existing medical conditions.
6. I will make sure my pets get sufficient exercise to keep them healthy and fit.
7. I will stimulate my pets’ minds. Teaching them a new trick, devoting time to interactive playtime and introducing new toys can help keep them vibrant.
8. I will prepare a pet first aid kit and disaster kit. For tips on Emergency Pet Preparedness, click here.
9. I will hug my pets every day, assuring them that they are an invaluable part of my life.
10. When adding a pet to my family, I will adopt from a shelter to help reduce pet overpopulation and euthanasia, and most importantly, to save a precious life.
Animal lovers can learn more about pet adoption, health and well-being and North Shore Animal League America’s mission to rescue, nurture and adopt homeless pets at www.AnimalLeague.org.
ABOUT NORTH SHORE ANIMAL LEAGUE AMERICA
North Shore Animal League America - Home of the Mutt-i-gree® - headquartered in Port Washington, NY, is the largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization in the world. The Animal League reaches across the country to rescue, nurture and adopt 20,000 pets into happy and loving homes each year. Over the past decade, the Animal League saved over 200,000 lives and has saved 1,000,000 animals since its inception. “Like” us at www.Facebook.com/TheAnimalLeague, follow us at www.Twitter.com/AnimalLeague. To learn more about animal rescue and welfare, visit www.AnimalLeague.org.