Members get our updates on rescue alerts, league events, special offers and more.
- How do I set up a trust for my dogs?
Benefits of Adopting an Adult Cat
- Adopting a mature cat is less maintenance. You do not have to go through the demanding and time-consuming stage of raising a kitten.
- Adult cats are independent and do not need anyone home with them during the day. Purrr-fect for busy, employed or active people.
- Adult cats are often litter-box trained (although initial mistakes are possible in the beginning until the cat is used to its new surroundings) and are more likely to have some basic training.
- Adopting a mature cat leaves little room for unpleasant surprises. You will have an accurate idea of the cat's temperament, full-grown size, coat, etc.
- Adult cats are more likely to have already been spayed, neutered and fully vaccinated.
- Adult cats understand the concept of approval and reward and are eager to please their owners.
- Many adult cats came from previous homes and are usually well versed at being a good pet and a good patient should it need medical attention.
- Adult cats get into less mischief, and you do not need to "kitten-proof" your home.
- Older cats are less rambunctious than kittens and may be a better choice for small children and seniors.
- Older cats often have trouble finding new homes, as people are more likely to flock toward kittens.
Browse our extensive expert advice: