World's Largest NO-KILL
Animal Rescue
and Adoption Organization


Members get our updates on rescue alerts, league events, special offers and more.

sign up!


Facebook Instagram YouTube Twitter

Like us on Facebook  
| Share share | email | print | A A

How can I gets dogs back that my father gave away a year ago?


My dad gave away my dogs a year ago. I know where they live and I have a phone number. The thing is that I am the legal owner of the dogs. Can I do anything to try and get them back?


One can sue for the return of his/her animals, although the chances of success in such lawsuits are dependent on many different factors. Given the length of time the animals have been in their new home and that that they were given to them by your father, it is probably doubtful that a court would order the return of the animals. Before proceeding, please consider what is in the best interests of the dogs. Sometimes in these situations an adopter will allow visitation by a former ‘owner.’

Submitted by Anonymous
Answered by Elinor Molbegott


Browse our extensive expert advice:

Show Advice by Topic

Advice Type: