World's Largest NO-KILL
Animal Rescue
and Adoption Organization


Members get our updates on rescue alerts, league events, special offers and more.

sign up!


Facebook Instagram YouTube Twitter

Like us on Facebook  
| Share share | email | print | A A

What recourse do I have to get my puppy after boyfriend locked me out?


My boyfriend and I had agreed to buy a puppy together and split ALL costs 50/50. When we went to get our puppy my boyfriend filled out the paperwork as I was caring for our new family member and he didn't include me on the purchase agreement. When I did see the paperwork 3 days later at the vet and asked him about it he stated it wasn't a big deal and the AKC paperwork is what matters. Since than he changed the locks on the doors so I could no longer access our puppy. What recourse do I have at this point?


One can sue to try to get possession of an animal that he/she believes is being wrongfully withheld. It is unclear how long you ‘shared’ the dog and who has been paying for the dog’s care and has been the dog’s primary caretaker. If a lawsuit is commenced, courts are likely to consider these factors. When two people who are no longer ‘connected’ to each other ‘share’ a puppy, it is important for them to also consider how realistic it will be to share custody of an animal for many years and if such an arrangement will be in the animal's long term best interests.

Submitted by Anonymous
Answered by Elinor Molbegott


Browse our extensive expert advice:

Show Advice by Topic

Advice Type: