World's Largest NO-KILL
Animal Rescue
and Adoption Organization


Members get our updates on rescue alerts, league events, special offers and more.

sign up!


Facebook Instagram YouTube Twitter

Like us on Facebook  
| Share share | email | print | A A

How can I get dog back from long-term pet sitter?


A friend agreed verbally to watch my dog while I was out of town for 4 months. Now that I've returned home she does not want to give me my dog back. Is there anything l can do?


Individuals who believe that their animals are being wrongfully withheld can commence a civil lawsuit to try to get the animals returned (replevin action). People can also contact the police (although the police may not get involved unless they believe a criminal law has been violated, such as pet theft).

Submitted by Anonymous
Answered by Elinor Molbegott


Browse our extensive expert advice:

Show Advice by Topic

Advice Type: