World's Largest NO-KILL
Animal Rescue
and Adoption Organization


Members get our updates on rescue alerts, league events, special offers and more.

sign up!


Facebook Instagram YouTube Twitter

Like us on Facebook  
| Share share | email | print | A A

Vet treated my kitten, and gave me back a full grown cat!


I recently took my baby 9 month old cat to the vet. They told me that he had to get surgery done because he had something stuck in his stomach. I kept calling the vet to see if I could at least go see my baby but they would not let me. A few days later when I finally got the ok to pick up my kitty, the vet returned me a full grown cat! This cat roaming my house tonight is not my baby. This cat is huge, heavy, and has a different butt color and fur. I want to know what can I legally do besides file a complaint? He also smells a lot like urine and meows differently. I want my money and baby back!


If you have not already done so, I suggest you contact your veterinarian and let him/her know that the cat that he/she gave you is not your cat. One could often prove the identity of a cat through photographs, records from another veterinarian, adoption or sales receipt that would show age, etc. If one believes that his/her animal is being wrongfully withheld, one can sue for the return of the animal. If one believes fraud or theft is involved, one can ask the police to intervene. Complaints can be made with the veterinary licensing board (In Illinois, it is the Illinois Veterinary Licensing and Disciplinary Board,,  and private veterinary associations.

Submitted by Anonymous
Answered by Elinor Molbegott


Browse our extensive expert advice:

Show Advice by Topic

Advice Type: