Members get our updates on rescue alerts, league events, special offers and more.
How to Avoid Dog Bites
- Never approach a dog, who’s tied or confined behind a fence or in a car.
- Don't approach a dog-even your own-without letting him see and sniff you first.
- Don't disturb a dog while they are sleeping, eating, chewing on a toy, or caring for puppies.
- Always be cautious around strange dogs and assume that he may see you as a threat.
- If a dog attacks, "feed" him your jacket, or anything that you can place between you.
- If you fall or are knocked down, curl up with your hands over your ears and remain still.
- Children need to be wary of dogs they don't know and respectful around the ones they do know.
- Never turn your back to a dog and run away; a dog's natural instinct will be to chase and catch you. Instead, remain motionless, hands at your sides, and avoid eye contact with the dog. Once the dog loses interest, slowly back away until he is out of sight.
- The most important lessons for children to learn are not to chase or tease dogs they do know and to avoid dogs they don't know.
Browse our extensive expert advice by selecting categories below: