Members get our free digital magazine, rescue alerts, special offers and more.
Tax Benefits of Donating Your Car
What are the tax benefits of donating my vehicle?
- North Shore Animal League America is required by the IRS to send to the donor a written acknowledgement (receipt) within 30 days of sale. This receipt includes the following:
- The gross selling price of the vehicle (if sold for more than $500)
- Year, make, model and VIN information
- A statement indicating that the vehicle was sold at arm’s length between two unrelated parties
- And a statement indicating that no goods or services were received in return for your contribution
If you itemize deductions on your income tax return, it may be possible to claim a deduction for your vehicle donation. In general, donors who itemize their taxes may deduct the fair market value of any donated car up to $499. If your vehicle sells for more than $500, you may deduct the full selling price.
Fair Market Value is loosely explained as the “Blue Book” or “Guide Book” value of your vehicle. See the links below for Kelley Blue Book, NADA Guides or Edmunds.
North Shore Animal League and its agent, Advanced Remarketing Services, make no claims as to the tax deductibility of any vehicle. All donors should consult their tax preparer or accountant about tax benefits. If you have additional questions about deductions and IRS regulations, the following links may be of assistance:
Links to Valuation:
Kelley Blue Book
Please donate your car, truck, boat or RV today and help us continue to rescue, nurture and adopt homeless and orphaned pets into loving homes.
Donate online or call toll-free at 1-855-688-8447 (1-855-MUTT-I-GREE).