Fourth of July Safety Tips

////Fourth of July Safety Tips

The Fourth of July is a time of patriotic celebration, which means fun with family, friends and, of course, fireworks. But our four-legged friends might not enjoy all the booming festivities. Here are some important safety tips to help make your pets’ holiday as fun and safe as possible.

Never take your pets to a firework display or use fireworks around them!

Firework displays can be great fun, but not for your pets. The loud noises and bright lights can terrify any animal. Even the best-behaved dog may react with fear and try to flee from the scene. Exposure to lit fireworks can result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws. In addition, many fireworks contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.

Give your pets a safe and quiet retreat.

If your pet gets frightened by the booming festivities, it’s important that they have a safe and quiet place to relax. Whether you can secure a room of the house or blanketed crate, they should have someplace to retreat to. Draw the curtains to block out the light show, and try putting the TV or radio on at a low volume as a distraction or as company for them if you go out.  Most of all, make sure to KEEP THEM INSIDE for their own protection.

Monitor what your pet eats and drink.

If you are entertaining guests, make sure to let them know not to feed your pets party food or beverages of any kind. Many foods are harmful to pets, and your guests might not be aware of this. Alcoholic beverages can be poisonous to pets. If ingested, your pet can become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Also any change in diet can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea.

Make sure your pet is identifiable.

In the instance that your pet runs off, it’s imperative to make sure their collar is on with their identification tags. Secure the collar so that your pet can’t squeeze out of it. You should be able to fit two fingers underneath the collar so that it’s roomy enough for comfort and snug enough for safety.

Watch out for Independence Day debris. Matches, lighter fluid, citronella candles, insect repellants, and oil products should all be kept out of reach.

Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could cause your pet harm by potentially damaging blood cells resulting in difficulty breathing. Lighter fluids, citronella candles, insect repellants, and oil products can be irritating to your pets skin and if ingested can cause gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system problems. If inhaled the lighter fluid can cause aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems.

When you let your pets out or take them for walks the day after, remember that the streets and your yard are likely to be littered with fireworks debris. These may seem like tasty treats or fun things to nibble on to your pets. Make sure to clean up before letting your furry friends back outside.

By | 2018-07-12T13:51:57+00:00 July 2nd, 2018|