North Shore Animal League America is looking for an exceptional Staff Writer, who is passionate about animal rescue and rehabilitation, to join our Development Team. The Staff Writer is responsible for producing a variety of digital and offline (print) content in support of NSALA’s fundraising and communications efforts and provides support to the Senior Vice President of Development on a variety of strategic initiatives. This role requires intensive coordination with all groups within the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Become familiar with NSALA’s over 75-year history, voice, and tone to create content that is on brand and on message, and ensure all messages adhere to the highest grammar and business writing standards.
- Collaborate to create compelling animal rescue, animal medical and animal adoption stories, animal welfare updates, formal proposals/letters of inquiry, promotional brochures and flyers, fundraising direct mail and donor letters, invitations, website content, speeches, and event scripts.
- Support NSALA’s digital growth efforts by developing concise, search-friendly content that attracts prospective donors to our web properties and drives donations. Periodically provide updated content for sections of NSALA websites.
- Plan, write, proof and edit various types of marketing content—from landing pages and blog posts to articles and annual reports – that express our brand and help convert visitors to donors.
- Work cross-functionally with SEO, web, marketing, and design teams to brainstorm and prioritize content ideas—and bring to life a diverse portfolio of communications assets and campaigns.
- Interview (internally and externally) for pet updates, donor spotlights and conduct research to develop relevant and useful content.
- Plan, write and edit content for a variety of internal communications vehicles, including email, video, online monthly newsletters and offline quarterly newsletters.
- Produce a wide range of high-quality written communication materials for Development and Policy departments.
- Support brand-building and internal communications activities and other projects, as assigned.
- Adhere to and update NSALA Editorial Style Guide.
- Keep up-to-date with best practices in writing for digital and social media trends.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA in communications/journalism or a combination of work experience and education in a related field required.
- Demonstrated and significant experience in writing for various external audiences, including supporters and social media platforms.
- Must have the ability to write professionally for varied audiences, including news style reporting/writing.
- Knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, will follow relevant audiences for help with blog content and stories.
- Excellent written communication skills are required with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Photography and videographer skills a plus, including the ability to work in a variety of digital-video formats.
- Consistently meet tight deadlines.
Work schedule: This is a full-time position. The majority of work hours will occur during normal business hours, but comprehensive reporting will require work schedule flexibility for evening and weekend events and rescues.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and much more. For consideration, interested candidates can forward their resume and cover letter, along with salary requirements to [email protected].