North Shore Animal League America is currently seeking a Manager of Pet Behavior Services who will have the overall responsibility to oversee and manage the daily operations of the pet behavior department by developing the pet behavior staff and volunteers, growing and creating programs, protocols, classes and providing pre and post adoption training for NSALA’s felines and canines. Role requires creative thinking, vision and multi task proficiency. Best candidate is a manager who thrives in a fast-paced environment and is committed to providing excellent customer service. Applicant should be committed, versatile, solution oriented with a high-energy personality.
- Hire, train and supervise pet behavior associates Responsible for the ongoing training and development of the staff and volunteers. Responsible for coaching, counseling and corrective action when necessary. Monitor associate performances to ensure adherence to proper League policies and procedures.
- Monitor both cats and dogs on the adoption floor and behind the scenes. Ensure they are receiving the training needed to place them up for adoption and into a home.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of all “hard to place” canines on campus. Create and maintain exercise programs to enrich the lives of the adult dogs with a focus on the “one month” and “MTD” dogs including treadmill training, agility and other forms of energy releasing activities.
- Identify kennel dogs that need behavior modification before they have serious issues and become long term residents. Develop behavior plans for dogs and cats that need basic behavior modification.
- Work closely with the Pet Behavior staff and Kennel Managers to monitor the progress of training dogs. Provide a behavior plan for puppies with inappropriate behavior.
- Evaluate dogs for admittance to the shelter.
- Evaluate the shelter dogs or cats on a behavioral hold and then prepare a written protocol to ensure the proper handling of the animal and placement into the right home.
- Determine in a timely manner when a canine or feline housed in the training department holding area is ready for adoption. Prepare a written protocol for the animal and then release the animal to the kennel. Inform kennel management about the animal and his needs.
- Have a strong presence on the adoption floor. Assist on the adoption floor educating adopters and helping them understand canine behavior.
- Be available for media, VIP adopters and special events
- Must have 5+ years of management experience
- Must have canine behavior modification experience and worked with dogs that have shown aggression.
- Certification preferred.
- Must have minimum of 5 years shelter/canine experience.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to organize, execute, and report on work activities without direct supervision
- Desire to make a positive difference in the lives of animals.
- Must be available to travel if needed
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and much more. For consideration, interested candidates can forward their resume and cover letter, along with salary requirements to [email protected]