North Shore Animal League America is currently seeking an experienced, energetic and creative Volunteer Manager to oversee our Volunteer program. The ideal candidate must be passionate about animal welfare and Animal League America’s mission and goals. Candidate must be goal oriented, work autonomously with a high degree of accountability, to meet or exceed established goals. This includes looking for ways to expand the department and meet the volunteer needs of the various departments throughout the organization. Additional focus includes recruiting, interviewing and hiring for specific open volunteer positions needed in all areas of the League as well as training, mentoring and promoting our Humane and Pet Outreach programs and looking for new venues to visit. Work closely with all area managers to ensure that the Volunteers are properly managed, trained and retained.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with department managers to recruit volunteers for all areas of the League that require volunteer assistance.
- Maintain and grow a volunteer base that will assist in the day to day duties of the Adoption Center and Rescue Team and Off-Site Events.
- Work with area Managers and other leadership to recruit, screen and interview new volunteers. Conduct initial organization orientation and work with area managers to schedule department training classes.
- Host and attend recruiting events on-site and within the community to attract qualified candidates.
- Work with the Vice President of Corporate Relations to coordinate and oversee corporate volunteer days
- Coordinate all volunteer activities and meet with various departments of the organization (i.e., Shelter, Grooming, Offsite, Communications, Pet Behavior, Pet Store, Medical Center, etc.)
- Handle inquiries for information about the volunteer program.
- Develop and promote volunteer team leaders and mentors
- Continually update changes in policies and procedures for the volunteers.
- Ensure the volunteer data base is accurate and has current information on each volunteer. (Hours of service, attendance, etc.)
- Maintain and update volunteer reports ( Birthday lists, Anniversary letters)
- Oversee and manage the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Manage the Therapy Outreach program with cats and puppies to nursing homes, this includes maintaining schedules, assigning Volunteers and interfacing with nursing home contacts.
- Research funding sources for the therapy outreach program.
- Expand the number of facilities we currently visit with both cats and puppies.
- Work with the Director of the Muttigrees Program to coordinate all presentations at local schools and community centers. Muttigrees Curriculum integration should be included in all of our school activities and shelter tours.
- Schedule, confirm and be able to conduct tours of the League for schools and scout groups.
- Help design informational flyers on pet related topics as handouts and to be available on NSAL America’s website.
- Develop and maintain new contacts, send thank you and follow up letters.
Foster Care Program:
- Work with the Foster Care Manager to ensure the recruiting and developing of volunteer foster parents for animals in our care with reliable and safe foster homes.
- Qualified candidates must a minimum of 5 years of management experience.
- Non-profit experience a plus. Animal welfare or related field a plus.
- Proven experience working with the public, developing and maintaining excellent relationships to support goals/mission.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Applications.
- Must possess excellent time management skills.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule including some nights and one weekend day.
- Ability to build and maintain good rapport with internal teams, volunteers and handle situations with confidence, tact and resourcefulness.
- A passion for making a positive difference in the lives of animals.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and much more. For consideration, interested candidates can forward their resume and cover letter, along with salary requirements to [email protected].