Members get our updates on rescue alerts, league events, special offers and more.
Fall: Thanksgiving Pet Tips
During Thanksgiving and the upcoming holiday season it’s easy to become overly generous, which means that dogs and cats will get a lot of table food scraps from family members or guests. Sometimes, however, too many treats can lead to injury or illness for our pets.
North Shore Animal League America would like to offer some tips to help keep your pets safe this holiday – and to keep the “Happy” in Thanksgiving!
- Too many fatty, rich, or new types of food can give your pet pancreatitis or gastroenteritis; two medical conditions that can be very painful and even life threatening
- Make no bones about it - bones can lacerate or obstruct your pets' insides. Save the bones for the broth - not your dog.
- Onions and onion powder, widely found in stuffing, will destroy your dog or cat's red blood cells, which can lead to anemia.
- Grapes and raisins contain a toxin that can cause kidney damage to both dogs and cats.
- Chocolate can actually be fatal to your dog or cat; so all those sweets must be kept well out of reach.
- Aluminum foil, wax paper and other food wrappings can cause intestinal obstruction. Make sure to place these items securely in the garbage.
- Maintain your pet's regular meal and exercise schedule and avoid too many holiday leftovers. A disruption in his dietary routine can cause stomach upset, diarrhea and/or vomiting.
- Make sure your pet always has fresh water. When there are more people in the house, there's more chance to bump into the water bowl leaving your pet dry.
- Make sure your pet has a quiet retreat should the holiday festivities be too much for him. Watch his behavior to make sure he is not stressed.
- Keep an eye on the garbage and keep it securely fastened! If your dog gets into it, he may think he's hit the jackpot, but all he'll be winning is health problems from something as simple as gastric disturbance, vomiting and diarrhea to the worst-case scenario - death.
Browse our extensive expert advice by selecting categories below: