Members get our updates on rescue alerts, league events, special offers and more.
Benefits of Adopting a Shelter Cat
- Adopting a cat from a shelter rather than other avenues means you are helping, and not contributing to, the pet overpopulation problem.
- The cost of adopting a pet at an animal shelter is usually much less expensive than buying one from a breeder or pet store.
- Breeders or pet stores sell pets with the incentive to make money, whereas shelters are focused on the animal's best interests.
- Often cats adopted from shelters have already been spayed or neutered. Most of them have also been wormed and vaccinated.
- Shelter cats have often adjusted to being around other animals.
Many people express that adopting a cat from a shelter is extremely spiritually rewarding - knowing that they are saving a life (some shelters euthanize animals for population control) and giving them a new home.
Browse our extensive expert advice: