We are currently looking to fill volunteer positions within our Petland Discounts Cat Adoption Program to assist with the cats in five stores.
The stores are currently located within four boroughs of New York City. The locations are: West 23rd Street in Manhattan; Greenpoint, Brooklyn; Jerome Avenue in the Bronx; Jackson Heights and Long Island City in Queens.
Please review the full volunteer description below, and if interested fill out the online application that follows. Please remember to include “PETLAND DISCOUNTS CAT ADOPTIONS” in the last section that asks “In a brief paragraph, please describe below your reasons for wanting to volunteer for North Shore Animal League America.”
Position Title: Petland Discounts Cat Adoption Program
Department: Offsite Adoptions
Statement of Basic Function:
Assist program coordinator with placement and care of adult cats in the successful adoption program with selected Petland Discounts stores within the five boroughs of New York City.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check on Animal League America cats and clean cages in the stores
- Assist with cat adoptions in the stores
- Pick up and deliver new cats going up for adoption in the stores
- Transport cats to and from the stores and Animal League America for adoption/medical examinations
- Coordinate the delivery of supplies to the stores
- Willing to drive in the five boroughs of New York City and to/from Animal League America in Port Washington
- Must have a valid and clean driver’s license
- Desire and ability to handle adult cats
- Able to practice safe animal handling skills as per Animal League America protocols
- Be responsible and dependable.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Desire to make a positive difference in the lives of felines
Training Required: Volunteers are required to attend:
- Volunteer Orientation and Basic Training classes
- Basic Cat class
- Cat Behavior class
Time Commitment: A 4-hour per week commitment for a minimum of one year; hours are flexible from Monday through Sunday.
Reports to: Petland Discounts Coordinator
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a volunteer in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required, and other duties may be assigned as needed.