Falsely accused of abuse

////Falsely accused of abuse


A girl is falsely accusing me of abusing my dogs because she wants them. Can Animal Control just come in my house and take my babies?


Law enforcement officers generally need a search warrant in order to seize allegedly abused animals from a home. However, the highest court in Massachusetts has stated that one exception to the warrant requirement (the emergency aid exception) is applicable to police action to render emergency assistance to animals when there is a reasonable basis to believe that an animal may be in imminent danger.

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to legal inquiries are not meant to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials in this website and any responses to questions are for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information contained herein, and any responses to questions directed to this column are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Send Your Pet Legal Question Now!

Elinor will field as many questions as she can and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many individuals have similar questions. You may find helpful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a Legal Question

By |2018-05-21T14:16:35-04:00April 5th, 2018|