How can I get my dog back after original owner reported it stolen?

////How can I get my dog back after original owner reported it stolen?


My old housemate told me, six years ago, I could have his dog. This year I was moving and lost the dog. He had a dog tag of our information yet they gave him back to the old housemate because it never occurred to me to change the chip, and he claimed the dog was stolen. How can I get him back? I didn’t steal him and if I did why wasn’t I arrested? I tried to explain the situation to an animal police officer and asked if I'm able to report the dog stolen, but the officer said "no because it was considered abandonment."


People who believe that their animal is being wrongfully withheld can sue (replevin action) for the return of the animal. While microchip registration can help to prove "ownership," it does not definitively prove “ownership.” Courts consider the totality of the evidence, including, for example, evidence demonstrating that the animal had been given away, sold, or abandoned by either of the parties.

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to legal inquiries are not meant to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials in this website and any responses to questions are for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information contained herein, and any responses to questions directed to this column are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Send Your Pet Legal Question Now!

Elinor will field as many questions as she can and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many individuals have similar questions. You may find helpful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a Legal Question

By |2018-01-11T15:07:17-04:00December 6th, 2017|