How can I change the ownership/custody of my dog under my name?

////How can I change the ownership/custody of my dog under my name?


I adopted my dog, about 4 years ago from a shelter in New York with my ex fiancé. He recently abandoned us, and has not cared about the dog or his well-being. The dog has always lived with me and my other rescued dog. They get along so well and can't live without each other. When we initially him, we adopted him under my ex fiancée's name, because I was not 21 yet. I am now over 21 and totally capable of taking care of my dogs and would like full custody. What do I have to do?


Ownership records cannot be changed without the consent of the adopter of record. However, if a pet custody case is litigated, it is very likely that a court would consider more than just who adopted an animal. Courts would likely consider what transpired after adoption, including, for example, whether the animal was given away, sold, or abandoned, who has been the animal’s primary caretaker and paid for the animal’s care (such as food, veterinary expenses, grooming, etc.).

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to legal inquiries are not meant to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials in this website and any responses to questions are for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information contained herein, and any responses to questions directed to this column are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Send Your Pet Legal Question Now!

Elinor will field as many questions as she can and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many individuals have similar questions. You may find helpful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a Legal Question

By |2018-01-10T15:04:51-04:00October 17th, 2017|