My ex-boyfriend won’t give my dog back.

////My ex-boyfriend won’t give my dog back.


My boyfriend ended our relationship and told me to move out without giving me any notice. I didn't even have time to get my dog, and now he wants to keep it just to hurt me more. What can I do to get my pet back?


People who believe that their animal is being wrongfully withheld can sue (replevin action) to try to get the animal returned. The police can also be contacted, although the police typically do not get involved in pet custody disputes between ex’s. I hope that you and your ex can work out a pet custody arrangement that considers the best interests of the dog.

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to legal inquiries are not meant to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials in this website and any responses to questions are for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information contained herein, and any responses to questions directed to this column are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Send Your Pet Legal Question Now!

Elinor will field as many questions as she can and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many individuals have similar questions. You may find helpful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a Legal Question

By |2019-06-10T16:05:09-04:00June 10th, 2019|