Neglected dogs

////Neglected dogs


If animals are being neglected and kept at the owner's parents' house, what can I do?


People who suspect an animal is being mistreated can contact the SPCA (society for the prevention of cruelty to animals), the police, and other entities in their area that enforce animal cruelty laws. California law states, in part, “…whoever, having the charge or custody of any animal, either as owner or otherwise, subjects any animal to needless suffering, or inflicts unnecessary cruelty upon the animal, or in any manner abuses any animal, or fails to provide the animal with proper food, drink, or shelter or protection from the weather, or who drives, rides, or otherwise uses the animal when unfit for labor, is, for each offense, guilty of a crime…” Sometimes the most expedient way to get an animal out of a bad situation is to offer to help with the animal and/or to adopt or purchase the animal (as unfair as this may seem under certain circumstances), particularly when law enforcement officers do not resolve the problem.

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to legal inquiries are not meant to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials in this website and any responses to questions are for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information contained herein, and any responses to questions directed to this column are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Send Your Pet Legal Question Now!

Elinor will field as many questions as she can and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many individuals have similar questions. You may find helpful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a Legal Question

By |2023-09-22T16:29:04-04:00August 12th, 2023|