Severe neglect.

////Severe neglect.


A neighbor down the road has a larger dog tied to a tree with about a 2-foot or less strap. The dog can't even stand up, has no water, and is lying in a mud hole. I have contacted animal control, but nothing is being done. What can I do to help this neglected, tortured dog? It can't even stand to pee or poop. It's such a sad situation; the dog looks so sad and has no hope of any kind. It breaks my heart. It's been like this for weeks now, and I walk by every day on my walk.


Law enforcement officers, such as the police and sheriff, should be contacted, as well as humane societies, rescue organizations, and SPCAs (societies for the prevention of cruelty to animals). Local legislators may also get involved if prompted by a constituent. Worth noting is that sometimes offering to purchase an animal (as unfair as paying may seem under certain circumstances) can be the most expedient way of getting an animal out of a bad situation particularly when law enforcement officers/animal control do not help the animal.

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to legal inquiries are not meant to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials in this website and any responses to questions are for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information contained herein, and any responses to questions directed to this column are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Send Your Pet Legal Question Now!

Elinor will field as many questions as she can and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many individuals have similar questions. You may find helpful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a Legal Question

By |2023-07-17T15:45:49-04:00June 17th, 2023|