Stolen dog


If I was given a dog for free, I paid for the vet bills, registered her, and paid to put her in my rental lease and then I was robbed and beaten up in my own home for the dog. Do I have to go to civil court in order to get the dog back ? I pressed charges so would that be resolved in the regular court along with the case or do I have to go to separate court?


I am very sorry to hear about your situation. The criminal court judge may order stolen property (or animal) to be returned. A civil lawsuit may also be commenced (replevin action) to try to get an animal returned. The burden of proof required in a criminal case is greater than in a civil case. I suggest attorney representation. An attorney may be able to more quickly negotiate the return of an animal.

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to legal inquiries are not meant to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials in this website and any responses to questions are for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information contained herein, and any responses to questions directed to this column are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Send Your Pet Legal Question Now!

Elinor will field as many questions as she can and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many individuals have similar questions. You may find helpful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a Legal Question

By |2022-06-21T13:21:43-04:00June 10th, 2022|