Verbal agreement not met

////Verbal agreement not met


I gave a dog away to a man and we verbally agreed that I would have 6 months to decide before I signed her over completely to the new owner. It took me one day to change my mind that I couldn't give her up. I have all the ownership papers stating that she is mine. What is the law regarding who should get possession while awaiting trial and to disregard such agreement? Thanks


Check with a local attorney. There are often procedures (at least in NY) to get cases heard more expeditiously and motions can be made in court to try to change possession. However, since disputing parties typically have different versions of their verbal agreement (a reason why agreements should be in writing), courts are not likely to order changes in possession until the court hears the evidence in the case.

PLEASE NOTE: Responses to legal inquiries are not meant to replace seeking legal advice from an attorney in your state. The materials in this website and any responses to questions are for informational purposes only and are not intended, nor should they be construed, as legal advice. This website, the information contained herein, and any responses to questions directed to this column are not intended to create and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely or act upon any information provided on this website or in any response to your inquiry without seeking the advice of an attorney in your state regarding the facts of your specific situation.

Send Your Pet Legal Question Now!

Elinor will field as many questions as she can and they will be posted here on this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions are answered. However, many individuals have similar questions. You may find helpful information in the categories listed below.

Ask a Legal Question

By |2018-06-25T10:20:37-04:00June 6th, 2018|